Communication Versus Accuracy

Hello, everyone!

We just got back from Costa Rica (which was an absolutely incredible experience), and one thing I took away from that is the true value of teaching for communication as opposed to teaching for grammatical perfection. Our students made many mistakes when they were speaking Spanish on the trip, but they made themselves understood. Isn't that the whole purpose of language? 

I've been listening to the podcast Tea with BVP--Tea with Bill Van Patten--and one thing that he has pointed out is that explicit grammar instruction is not what the students remember. They remember the language that they have TRULY used and acquired. When they are speaking, they don't think "oh, I just used the conditional tense, so now I have to use the imperfect subjunctive after my 'if clause.'" I think that that is so true. Our students use what has been real for them. He has also said that sometimes explicit grammar instruction can even hinder the students' language acquisition. I'm only six episodes in, but I am sure he will give me a lot more to talk about soon. 

The grammarian in me has a tough time with this, but it makes sense. If we are constantly correcting our students mid-sentence or expecting them to speak perfectly and remember every single detail of what we have taught them, then we won't be developing speakers of the language. Students are afraid to speak and take risks because they are afraid to make mistakes. Why are they afraid to make mistakes? Well, I have to say that I think it is because teachers focus on the grammar and not on the communication. Why are teachers giving quizzes on using the correct form of "the" (el, la, los, or las)? It just doesn't make sense to me. 

Last year, I remember marking students off when they would say "¿Ustedes salen de la escuela a las 2:05? Are you guys leaving school at 2:05?" instead of "¿Salen ustedes de la escuela..." I marked them off because they didn't put the subject after the verb when forming a question. Even native speakers say the first option, and the communicative goal WAS met. Another example: teachers--my former self included--grow so obsessed with teaching time the way it is in the textbook. We make them say "8 minus twenty" instead of "seven forty." I, personally, have never heard a native speaker use this (not saying that some don't), and if they say "seven forty," it's not wrong and it is MORE COMMON. Why do we do this to them? So sorry to my students from last year! 

I find myself struggling at times with certain things that are in the curriculum. I am finishing up talking about chores in preparation for a party with my 8th graders, but the students even keep saying "I don't do any of these things." It has been so hard to relate it to their lives. We have basically made a joke out of it by trying to guess who does what chore. It was successful, but I don't feel that there was much meaning behind it. One thing that I have found, though, is that many of the mistakes that I saw last year when I was a bit more traditional haven't happened this year. I have focused a lot on providing enough input before I ask the students to produce the language. I think this has caused their minds to just know what sounds right and what sounds wrong, and they have just naturally begun to produce the language based on what they've heard. 

I have so much more I want to say and discuss, so please comment! I just don't want the post to be too long. 

See ya next time, amigos. 

Timothy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let’s Make Language Teaching More Natural

 It’s been a really weird school year. I recently started reading The Nature of Language by Bill VanPatten and it really got my gears going....